Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Race Report: GNCC Round 2 - Paul Whibley

SIDI takes a 1st and 2nd Finish
1st: Paul Whibley (SIDI!)
2nd: Josh Strang (SIDI!)
3rd: Thad Duvall

Race Report: GNCC Round 2
Rider: Paul Whibley
Team: AmPro Yamaha
Bike: Yamaha YZ450 F
Result: 1st
Round 1 of the GNCC series didn’t go to plan but we made up for it at the second round in Georgia. A top 10 start wasn’t too bad with a couple of early passes I was in contact of the lead bunch. The track was rough and soft in the trees with a lot of lines fanning out through the wet sections. These provided plenty of opportunities for passing and allowed some great racing with the lead changing constantly and a bunch of riders all wanting a piece of the pie.

Midway through the 3 hour event the battle was still raging with hole shotter Nate Kanney, Suzukis’ Josh Strang, round 1 winner Charlie Mullins, KTMs’ Cory Buttrick, myself and my team mate Thad Duvall still duking it out for the lead. With about three laps to go Josh and Thad began to open up a small lead. I was behind Nate Kanney in 4th and quickly needed to get by him to bridge that gap to remain in contact with the lead. As we came out across an open field I out braked Nate going back into the woods and chased down Thad and Josh. With two laps to go I moved into the lead and tried to open my own gap. Going into the last lap I think I had almost 15 seconds over Josh but he was pushing hard and was not going to hand it to me. I continued to keep the pace on and maintain the lead. Mid last lap a branch nearly ended my run for the win, smashing me in the face and nearly cleaning me off the bike. It broke off my Smith roll-off canister and half tore the lense out of the frame.

*Click Image for Larger View*

Lucky the Smith goggles are quality equipment and I was able to carry on although I was struggling to see out my left eye with it swelling fast. I made it to the line with a small buffer over Josh to claim my first win of the season.

*Click Image for Larger View*
Photo Credit: Shan Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment