Monday, April 11, 2011

H&H Race Report (Utah snow storm) SIDI 1-2-3

AMA H&H
Round 5
April 9, 2011
Jericho, Utah

Overall Results:
1st Kurt Caselli (SIDI!)
2nd David Pearson(SIDI!)
3rd Destry Abbott(SIDI!)

*Click Image for Larger View*
Race Day:
This was definitely one of the wildest H&H's I've raced. They had so much snow that the club wasn't sure if they were going to be able to put it on until the night before. The club actually had to cut down some of the second loop since it was basically impossible to ride. The pits were covered (as you can see in the photos).

*Click Image for Larger View*

For the start, I didn’t practice it too much since it was snowing and in the 20's. I thought I had a good line, but when the banner dropped I had a great jump and later realized I’d really messed up my line choice. After the first corner I was probably in 20th, or so, and it wasn't looking good. I really pinned it to try and get by as many people as I could in the sand dunes (before we got to the single track stuff). About mile five I was in 8th and knew the front guys were checking out. By mile 15 I was able to get into 4th, but the guys in front of me had already built up a nice gap. I just kept pushing it, and then at mile 20 I had to stop for a splash of gas since I couldn't make the first 52-miles on one tank. Later in the race, goggles turned into a huge factor, because it started to snow even more. I actually saw Jacob Argubright pull over and change into another pair he was carrying. Now that put me into 3rd, and I stayed there heading into the main pit. Jonny did a great job on getting me out and said David wasn't too far ahead of me. The second loop was only going to be 28-miles, but it was more up in the hills and the snow was insane! A couple miles into this second loop I noticed there weren't any course marking. However I still saw tracks in front of me so I knew the other riders had went this way. I slowed down and started to look around and then I looked up and saw Kurt sitting on a road. I told him I was pretty sure the course had turned back a ways, so we flipped a u-turn. Now it was Kurt, David, TJ, and I looking for the course. We saw a trail that wasn't marked, but decided to take it. Not far in there was a sign that said loop two. We all let Kurt go first then David, me, and then TJ. This was definitely the right thing to do even though we were all right on each other. Kurt was able to put a gap on David and me, but we basically rode this loop right on each other. I really can’t describe how much snow we were riding through! We couldn’t see the ground and everything was covered. It was so easy to go down and you just couldn't be aggressive. Halfway in, I went down pretty good when my front end washed out. I got up pretty quick and got going, and not much further I saw David picking up his bike and trying to start it. I was able to get by and now was in second. Unfortunately I stared to have big problems with my goggles. The snow shower was killing my roll-offs and I was going through them way to fast. David was keying off me and it was actually really fun for the next 10-miles as we were starting to get close to the finish. At this point, I ran out of roll-offs and was really having a tough time seeing. With about 3 or 4-miles left I basically was doing everything I could to keep the goggles clean and when I tried to push off the snow with my gloves it just made them muddy and impossible to see out of. David blew by and there wasn't anything I could do. I finally had to take them off and I absolutely hate doing that. The snow was still coming down really bad and it was just hard to make it to the finish.*Click Image for Larger View*
Overall Summary:
I definitely enjoy riding different types of terrain and races, so this was one that I looked forward to. Once again not the results I was hoping for, but it was a race that I'll always remember and I enjoyed racing in that much snow. Besides getting lost, it was actually a really good time for me and I enjoyed it!*Click Image for Larger View*

Overall Results:
1st Kurt Caselli
2nd David Pearson
3rd Destry Abbott
4th TJ Hannifin
5th Jacob Argubright
6th Shawn Strong
7th Ryan Abbatoye
8th Clay Davies
9th Robert Underwood
10th Tuffy Pearson

*Click Image for Larger View*
Other Notes:
Here’s a really cool video that Beau put together from the race! http://www.vimeo.com/22217525

Here’s another video I saw on a message board. You can tell this guy was having a great time! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6GuNYL3qtI

I was really happy to hear the club decided to still put the race on with the weather they were dealt. They had a lot of work to do with the changes they had to make and besides us getting lost on the start of the second loop, I though they did a good job.

Once again Jonny did a great job on getting the bike ready for these conditions. The Argubright's were a big help with letting us use their box van too.


My next race is this weekend in California for the WORCS round.

Best Wishes,
www.destryabbott.com

No comments:

Post a Comment