Tuesday, April 12, 2011

SIDI Takes a Second and Third - GNCC Round 4 South Carolina

Race Report: GNCC Round 4 South Carolina

2nd: Josh Strang (SIDI!)
3rd: Kailub Russell(SIDI!)

Rider: Paul Whibley
Team: AmPro Yamaha
Bike: Yamaha YZ450 F
Result: 6th

Round 4 of the GNCC series turned out to be a disappointing race for myself. I had planned on putting in another good performance like Round 2 of the series where I put my Yamaha in the center of the box but a poor start didn’t help my cause.

When the green flag waved I was left stranded on the start line, a couple of kicks later I was underway. I latched on to the back of the pack and in the few open turns closed in on the top ten.

The first few miles was pretty dusty and moving up much further was risky until we spread out a little and vision improved. I hooked up with Chris Bach on his Beta and my former teammate Jimmy Jarrett on his GEICO Honda. I got past both of them after a couple of laps but it had taken me too long to make the move and the leaders had already put a sizable gap on me.I pushed hard to try and reduce that gap but it wasn’t happening.

The guys up front were in their own battle and I imagine, able to key off each other and learn the fastest lines. I seemed to be stuck in no man’s land. The bike was working great and my Kenda tires were finding some great traction but I couldn’t find my way up to that podium.

Pretty disappointed with my 6th place. I really need to get up on that box soon and reflect some of the hard work my team is putting in to get me to the line. Still, there are a few races left in the championship and plenty of points still on the table.

1st: Charlie Mullins
2nd: Josh Strang
3rd: Kailub Russell

Thanks to Nancy Williams for the pic.

No comments:

Post a Comment