Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Race Report: OMA Rnd 1, Alabama - Paul Whibley SIDI guy

SIDI Riders report a knock-out: 1, 2 finish.

Race Report: OMA Rnd 1, Alabama
Rider: Paul Whibley
Team: Am Pro Yamaha
Bike: Yamaha YZ450 F
Result: 2nd
1st; Russell Bobbit (SIDI!)
2nd; Paul Whibley (SIDI!)
3rd; Jordan Ashburn


Round 1 of the OMA series kicked off at a new venue near Tuscumbia, Alabama. The track
consisted of some tight fresh woods with some pretty rocky sections.

The 2 hour event kicked off with the wave of a flag. I shot toward turn one with Russell Bobbitt
just inside me. Rubbing elbows as we entered the turn and getting bumped wide allowing
Scotty Watkins by. I entered the woods in third. I pushed hard to get past Scotty quickly as I
knew Bobbitt would be pinning it up front.

After making a move on Scotty on a rocky down hill I got stuck between two trees in a tight section allowing Russell to get away. Over the next couple laps I worked hard slowly reeling him in. Finally pulling up to his rear wheel I began to look for some were to make a move. I found a couple places where I was going quicker but it was hard to put it together and set up a pass with most of the trail being tight and rocky.

The pit stop went smoothly and we were in and out quickly and back into the battle. Over the next couple of laps I continued to keep the pressure on and look for opportunities but nothing presented itself. It was becoming clear I was really going to have to put it on the line and make something happen. On the second to last lap I had a place lined up but got a vine snagged on my bars and lost a few seconds to Russell.

On the last lap I made my move on one of the open sections and got along side of him but the door was shut pretty quick. In the end I had to settle for 2nd. Russell rode a great race and owned it right from the start. I failed to find and take any chances to take the lead but it was a great battle right down to the end.

The pace we were running pushed us further out front and we had a comfortable lead over 3rd place, my team mate Jordan Ashburn.

Thanks to Mark Karyia for the photo.

*Click Image for Larger View*

No comments:

Post a Comment